Inside: 67 Cute Smiley Piercing Inspiration.
With a name like Smiley Piercing, what is not to love about this unique idea?
Stick your tongue over the top of your front teeth, right between your gums and your lip. That’s where a smiley piercing goes. With your tongue, you can feel a thin strip of skin that links your gums to your lip. That’s called the frenulum and that’s the spot that is pierced in a smiley piercing.
One of our favorite things about this piercing is its element of ‘surprise’. What I mean by that is, no one really knows that you have that until you flash your teeth their way. It’s like a bonus element when you smile.
Check out everything you need to know about this fun piercing, the good, the bad, and the smiley!
What is a Smiley Piercing?
A smiley piercing (also known as a lip frenulum piercing) is an inner lip piercing that runs through the thin layer of skin that connects your upper lip to the top of your gums. You can feel this piece of tissue by keeping your lips closed and pushing your tongue upward in front of your teeth. This piercing is called the smiley piercing because it’s most visible when you smile.
Does a Smiley Piercing Hurt?
Pain is possible with all piercings. Generally speaking, the fleshier the area, the less the piercing will hurt.
Your frenulum has to be thick enough to support the jewelry, but the piece of tissue is still rather small. Because of this, the piercing may hurt a bit more than a lip or earlobe piercing.
Your individual pain tolerance is also a factor. The good news is that the needle portion of the procedure only lasts a few seconds, so it should be over after a deep inhale and exhale.
How Long Does it Take to Heal?
A dermal piercing typically heals within 4 to 12 weeks. If you don’t follow your piercer’s aftercare recommendations, your piercing may take longer to heal.
You may experience mild pain and swelling during the first couple of weeks. These symptoms will gradually decrease as the healing process continues.
How to Clean a Smiley Piercing?
Rinse your mouth with saline solution or sea salt rinse 2 – 3 times daily.
The location of the smiley piercing will preclude you from conducting a saline soak like you would with other piercings. Instead, rinse your mouth with a saline or sea salt rinse, making sure to spend extra time soaking the frenulum area. There are rinses that you can purchase that are created specifically for oral piercing aftercare. You also need to make sure that you maintain proper oral hygiene throughout healing.
Are Smiley Piercings Bad for Your Teeth?
Smiley piercings are in an extremely sensitive area. If pierced incorrectly or improperly cared for, you may end up with some dangerous and uncomfortable side effects.
Talk to your piercer about the following risks:
Gum damage. If your piercing is incorrectly placed, it may cause gum recession over time. Jewelry that sits too high on your gum line or otherwise rubs against your gums can also lead to gum damage.
Enamel damage. Large beads and other attachments on the jewelry can knock against your teeth, potentially damaging the enamel.
Infection. Your mouth is a natural breeding-ground for bacteria from eating and drinking. Bacteria can also be introduced via kissing, smoking, and other oral activities. Infection is possible if bacteria becomes trapped in the piercing site.
Rejection. If your body views the jewelry as an intruder, it may respond by building up more skin tissue to push the piercing out of the frenulum.
How Much is a Smiley Piercing?
This piercing typically costs between $30 and $90. Some shops charge separately for the jewelry. You’ll also need to factor in a tip for your piercer — at least 20 percent is standard. You should also ask your piercer about costs related to aftercare, such as saline solution.
Cute Smiley Piercing Ideas
1. Gold Hoop Smiley Piercing
2. Diamond Balled Hoop Mouth Piercing
3. Piercing Smiley Hoop
4. Small Smiley Piercing with Simple Silver Hoop
5. Diamond Hoop Jewelry
6. Gold Hoop with Diamond Accent
7. Thin Hoop Gum Piercing
8. Gold and Silver Balled Hoop
9. Gum Mouth Piercing Idea
10. Small Spiked Smiley Piercing
Vampire Smiley Piercing
11. Smiley Piercing Fangs
12. Dracula Nail Smiley Jewelry
13. Long Fang Smiley Jewelry
14. Silver Fang Jewelry
15. Unique Mouth Piercing Vampire Jewelry
16. Fang Piercing
17. Dracula Smiley Jewelry
18. Fang Smiley Jewelry
19. Cool Fang Jewelry
20. . Silver Fang Jewelry
Smiley Mouth Piercings
21. Small Smiley Jewelry
22. Turquoise Jewel on Smiley Ring
23. Smiley Hoop with Diamond
24. Smiley Piercing Pop with Lipstick
25. Crooked Smiley Jewelry
26. Bright Smiley Piercing Idea
27. Triple Diamond Gold Hoop
28. Smiley Jewelry
29. Smiley + Tounge Piercing Combo
30. Small Gold Ring for Smiley Piercing
Cute Smiley Piercing Jewelry
31. Spiked Mouth Piercing Jewelry
32. Pink Horseshoe Ring Jewelry
33. Opal Lined Hoop Ring
34. Gold Horsehoe Smiley Jewelry
35. Dracula Fang Smiley Piercing Jewelry
36. Colored Spiked Horseshoe Jewelry
37. Opal and Crystal Silver Ring
38. Gold Triple Gem Smiley Jewelry
39. Diamond Barbell Gold Piercing Ring
40. Simple Gold Ring
Smiley Piercing Rings
41. Smiley and Snakebite Piercing Combo
42. Silver Hoop Barbell
43. Small Smiley Piercing with Tooth Piercing
44. Gold Hoop Mouth Piercing
45. Bright and Cute Mouth Jewelry
46. Black Smiley Barbell Piercing
47. Cute Mouth Piercing Idea
48. Spike Mouth Jewelry
49. Unique Smiley Piercing Idea
50. Hidden Mouth Piercing Jewelry
Smiley Gum Piercing Ideas
51. Larger Silver Hoop Mouth Piercing
52. Fun Smile Piercing Idea
53. Small Smile Spiked Jewelry
54. Diamond Jewel Hoop
55. Gold Hoop with Diamond
56. Pretty Diamond Jewelry
57. Rose Quartz Mouth Piercing Jewelry
58. Thin Silver Hoop
59. Smiley Diamond Hoop Jewelry
60. Double Diamond Hoops
Piercing Smiley Jewelry
61. Pink Jewel on Silver Hoop
62. Thin Gold Hoop Jewelry
63. Small Hidden Smiley Piercing
64. Small Smiley Jewelry
65. Turquoise Jewel on Smiley Ring
66. Smiley Hoop with Diamond
67. Smiley Piercing Pop with Lipstick
More Cool Tattoo Ideas You’ll Love
If you like these cute smiley piercing ideas then check out a few more of our favorite piercings and information about them.
- Eyelid Piercing Ideas – First people started getting their eyebrows pierced, then they started getting the bridge of their nose pierced, now they’re piercing their eyelids?? I guess you can’t pierce your eye so maybe this is as far as it goes. It seems like the newest trend is going below the eyebrow and going straight to the eyelid. Check out everything you need to know about this new trend and why it’s become so popular… (Read More)
- How Long Does a Tongue Piercing Take to Heal? – Your tongue is a muscle, so its healing process can be slightly different from a skin piercing. Tongue piercings heal quite quickly compared to other body piercings. However, the healing time can vary from person to person and depends heavily on how well the tongue piercing is being cared for at the start of its life…(Read More)
- How to Care for a Nose Piercing? – A new nose piercing requires frequent cleanings. Like any new piercing, regular cleanings help keep debris out of the piercing while also preventing infection. However, the aftercare doesn’t stop there. You’ll need to regularly ensure your nose piercing and jewelry are both in good shape to prevent any future problems…(Read More)