Inside: Chic Dahlia Piercing Ideas + Inspiration
What do you think is the rarest and scariest type of lip piercing? Is it the one that reminds you of the infamous murder- Black Dahlia? The piercing got its name from the facial mutilation of the American actress Elizabeth Short known posthumously as Black Dahlia.
A few people consider it to be one of the types of face piercings but it is more of a lip piercing. Though it is very uncommon, still if you want to attract some admiring glances, this is the type of lip piercing for you.
We have everything you need to know about dahlia piercings, including price, pain level, procedure details, and healing time.
Discover more about this spooky chic dahlia piercing and find some stunning inspiration for your next body modification appointment.
What is a Dahlia Piercing?
Dahlia piercing refers to one puncture at each corner of the lips. This piercing has a centering effect and is sometimes called a joker bites piercing.
Should You Get a Dahlia Lip Piercing?
As with any piercing, dahlia piercings have their perks & drawbacks. Check out the pros & cons below to see if this piercing is right for you:
- The dahlia piercing is a fairly uncommon piercing, so having it would set you apart from other piercing enthusiasts.
- This piercing emphasizes the mouth and highlights the smile. It can also help bring symmetry to the face in conjunction with septum or medusa piercings.
- The unique placement of the dahlia piercing can cause problems like jewelry migration or rejection. Make sure you find a reputable piercer to avoid these issues.
- Many piercers may not know this piercing by name since it’s less popular than others. Ensure your piercer has specific experience with this procedure beforehand.
Dahlia Bite Piercing Inspiration
1. Stunning but Simple Dahila Bites
2. Cute Dahila Piercing with Silver Studs
3. Dahlia and Medusa Piercing Combo
4. Small Diamond Dahlia Inspiration
5. Dahlia and Snake Bite Combo
Does a Dahlia Piercing Hurt?
Dahlia piercings rank at a 4/10 on the pain scale since there are two punctures. More nerve endings around the lips increase the pain level compared to other facial piercings.
This relative pain level is completely dependent on your body and pain threshold. You will most likely experience swelling and tenderness for the first few days after getting pierced. Cold compresses and pain medication like ibuprofen can make this period more tolerable.
The Healing Process
It can take up to 20 weeks to heal completely. The initial stage will be crucial as it is located near your mouth so be careful while eating and cleaning your mouth. There may be swelling so you might experience difficulty during eating food. There can be instances where you find seepage of whitish-yellow liquid from the wound indicating that the perforation is healing.
It depends on personal care and hygiene you maintain. Although the wound will take around five to six months to heal, it will improvise each day.
Dahlia Piercing Jewelry Ideas
The jewelry that is often used for Dahlia piercings includes Monroe or labret studs, captive bead rings or ball closure rings and curved barbells. Commonly used gauges are of 14-16g of weight and 13mm of length. A longer bar might be used by the piercer to accommodate for swelling.
Once your piercing has fully healed and now you are able to change out your jewerly, it’s important to find the right kind. You not only want your jewelry to fit your piercing comfortably but also something that fits your style and personality. Check out a few of our favorite simple and unique options that bring your piercing to the next level.
6. Gold Flat Star Top Threadless Push-In Flat Back Stud
7. Gold Flat Triangle Top Threadless Push-In Flat Back Stud
8. White Gold Ball Top Flat Back Stud
9. Heart Top Threadless Push-In Flat Back Stud
10. 14 Karat Gold Push-In Prong Set Round Gem Top Bio-Flex
11. Add a little color to the mix
12. Diamonds for lip bling
13. This huge multi-pack that works with many piercings.
Dahlia Lip Piercing Aftercare Tips
Just like you need to take care of the sutures if you get them, you also need to look after the piercings to avoid infections. Here are some tips to protect you from germs.
- Keep the area dry. If you sweat too much, make sure it does not drip near the piercings. It may cause irritation.
- Clean the area regularly using a cotton ball with sea salt solution or a cleanser like H2O Ocean.
- Do not touch the jewelry, this will only worsen your wound as the bacteria present on your hands may infect it.
- Do not drink alcohol, beverages like caffeine or eat spicy food. It will stimulate the nerves and healing may take time.
Dahlia Piercing Scars
Just as the pain, the scars vary from person to person. Sometimes the scars may be more prominent and profuse and they may take years to fade. Other times, the scars might be very light and might disappear within months.
More Piercing Tips You Need
Learn more about aftercare and healing with these
- When Can I Change My Ear Piercing? – If you’ve paid to have your piercing done, chances are you don’t want it to close up, and you’d be surprised how quickly this can happen with new piercings. the longer you have a piercing, the longer you can leave it without wearing an earring/piece of jewelry…(Read More)
- How Long Does a Tongue Piercing Take to Heal? – Your tongue is a muscle, so its healing process can be slightly different from a skin piercing. Tongue piercings heal quite quickly compared to other body piercings. However, the healing time can vary from person to person and depends heavily on how well the tongue piercing is being cared for at the start of its life…(Read More)
- How to Care for a Nose Piercing? – A new nose piercing requires frequent cleanings. Like any new piercing, regular cleanings help keep debris out of the piercing while also preventing infection. However, the aftercare doesn’t stop there. You’ll need to regularly ensure your nose piercing and jewelry are both in good shape to prevent any future problems…(Read More)